Pages

Design Review: Objectified



I enjoyed watching objectified although I was unable to stop thinking about the message of the previous film "The Story of Stuff". I think by watching both films I have realised what a significant part a designer can play in the circle of creating environmentally sustainable goods. As designers we cannot ignore the effects that many of the industries we work in are having on our planet; it is up to us be at the forefront of new and recycled environmentally friendly materials to make the necessary changes in order to protect our planet.

In watching objectified I found that the theme constantly reverted back to people and their needs. To be a successful designer you must know and understand people and I found that many of the successful designers featured in Objectified agreed with this. The film explores the depths of many products such as the humble post-it note and you realise that at some point, someone has thought about the design and function of nearly everything we own.

Watching Objectified reinforced many of the theories we have been learning to date in our course; such as good products are clearly understood and that the attention should be paid to the human detail. I felt that many of the designers featured in Objectified saw their role as people who understand people who endeavor to improve everyday things that people use. As a design philosophy this resonates greatly with me because I do not want to simply add to the multitude of things already available on this planet but I do want to be able to improve peoples lives.

I enjoyed watching Objectified and I will definitely watch it again some time soon, I thought that it was insightful and a great film for anyone to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment